Sunday, February 3, 2008

Award Show Season

Its award show season - and its all messed up. Its all messed up because of the dumb writers strike. I still get it - I still support the issues. I just don't like how its affecting my life. I usually send out a big Oscar e-mail on the morning of the big announcement - but, this year is different all around, and I didn't. I didn't have the umpfh...nor the time really - as mortgage rates have me working around the clock. I still got up and watched them live at 6:39am on E! I got only one category 100% right on my pre-guessing. Best Picture. Go figure.

But, before I get into them...first, a word about the Golden Globes. How sad that it was reduced to Entertainment Reporters being grateful that they could stand at a podium and announce winners. Sad that the bright spot of the "announcements" was Mary Hart. I love her. It was however, short, which was nice - a bit like the speed dating of award shows, however,it was all weird. Even the winners had me scratching my head - but really nothing these days is making sense in entertainment. Mad Men? Who knew? Extras? Really? David Duchovny? Are you kidding me? The only two categories that I celebrated at all were Tina Fey's win. 30 Rock has grown on me and she and Alec Baldwin are a riot - though I still didn't want Alec to win...even though he did and the other one - Glenn Close for Damages. She scared me and fooled me and manipulated me - she was amazing in that show. Though I was really sad that Rose Byrne didn't win - because she really held her own with Glenn. The very best thing about the Globes was this - it got me to watch a little HBO made and aired film called Longford - because it beat out my favs. And it was amazing. A haunting and horrible tale. Samantha Morton and Jim Broadbent were incredible. So, thanks Golden Globes for that.

The SAG Awards harolded at least a sense of normalcy- and got more attention than it would have any other year. It may be the only red carpet we see all year. Sad, sad, sad. The winners though...The Sopranos? Really? That seemed like another re-run in the re-run hell we are experiencing right now. I was happy that The Office won for best ensemble - but it just made me miss my TV friends more! I do love the SAGs though - because entire casts are nominated, so people like Zac Efron and Amanda Bynes are nominees (both for Hairspray). Sometimes, it cracks me up. AND because everyone went to the SAG awards this year, it was incredibly noticeable when winners didn't show up. Kevin Kline and Queen Latifah - what did you have to do that was so important you couldn't glam yourself up and show up for your award? Queen Latifah - I saw you a few weeks ago all glammed up hosting that heinous excuse for the Peoples Choice Awards...so, I know you are into it! At least that show actually looked like an awards show - complete with a way too long "Lifetime Achievement Award" to Charles Durning. Burt Reynolds is weird. Biggest shocker: Ruby Dee and the slap hear round the world. She may have even less screen time than Dame Judi Dench did in Shakespeare in Love and she won the SAG... She got mad - came in slapped Denzel and that is it and is winning awards. Nice.

Okay - now on to the biggie. First I must say, I'm completely in denial about the fact that the writers strike might still be on 3 weeks(almost down to the minute from now) from now and we will have a sham of show. I can't think about - I don't want to think about it - as far as I'm concerned..THE. SHOW. MUST. GO. ON. Please studios and the WGA - give me this one thing...just the Oscars. Give it back to us. Puh-LEASE! Thank You to ABC and its Oscar commercials airing already like nothing will be different.

Aside from Ruby Dee's screen time being close to the shortest in the history of the nominations...a few more fun facts about this years Oscars:

Cate Blanchett
becomes the first female to be nominated twice for the same role. Its happened 4 times with the men(Bing Crosby, Paul Newman, Peter O'Toole and Al Pacino)...but Cate finally does it for the women with her roles in 1998 and 2007s Elizabeth. She's also the 11th performer to earn nominations in both the Best and Supporting Acting categories in the same year. (Fay Bainter in 1938, Teresa Wright in 1942, Barry Fitzgerald in 1944, Jessica Lange in 1982, Sigourney Weaver in 1988, Al Pacino in 1992, Holly Hunter in 1993, Emma Thompson also in 1993, Julianne Moore in 2002 and Jamie Foxx in 2004.) No performer has won awards in both acting categories in the same year.

Marion Cotillard is vying for the 5th Oscar for a foreign Language role. (Sophia Loren (1961 "Two Women"), Robert De Niro (1974 "The Godfather Part II"), Roberto Benigni (1998 "Life is Beautiful") and Benicio Del Toro (2000 "Traffic").)**You could also count Marlee Matlin's win here because it was almost entirely in American Sign Language.

This year set a record for most number of films with acting nominations: 18. One one movie had more than one acting nod: Michael Clayton. 3.

This year in the Original Screenplay category - 3 women are among the nominees - the most ever for this category. Add Sarah Polley's nomination in the Adapted Screenplay category - 4 writing nods for women is also a record.

Ratatouille is up for best original screenplay...Nice. A well-written cartoon - who'd have thunk it?

And as for all of the other stuff - I usually cover - yes, Sean Penn's INTO THE WILD - HUGE snub. No Angelina Jolie, Nikki Blonsky, John Travolta, James McAvoy (sniff, sniff - I LOVE HIM) or Keira Knightley. It happens. The most nominated films are: No Country For Old Men and There Will Be Blood each with 8 nods and Michael Clayton and Atonement each with 7.

Now, let my predictions begin...

Best Original Screen: Diablo Cody all the way. I loved Juno. I loved the writing, the sarcasm and the heart. I understand the reasons why its criticized. I do not think it glamorizes teenage pregnancy - nor do I think it shows the whole story, but really - I'm just not looking at movies that way nowadays. I loved it. Ratatouille would be a funny win. And I wouldn't mind Michael Clayton - though I still don't get the stuff with the horses - I thought I did. But, I don't. The dialogue in that film is great. My Pick: Diablo Cody, Juno My prediction: Tony Gilroy, Michael Clayton

Best Adapted Screenplay: I've only seen one of these movies (Atonement) and I'm not even picking it. I would love to see Sarah Polley win for Away from Her - woman writer/director - gonna have a Best Actress nomination - I'm pulling the feministic card - on this one. My Pick: Sarah Polley, Away from Her. My Prediction: Joel and Ethan Coen, No Country For Old Men

Best Original Song: I've seen all these movies, I've heard all these songs - and I like them all. I loved Enchanted and these songs are fun. My favorite of those is "That's How You Know" - which is my pick. But, I also love "Falling Slowly" - and I loved the song before I saw Once. I saw a recommendation of the film and the music and I downloaded them on Itunes months before I saw it. Quiet melodies - quiet movie. I really like both. My Pick: "That's How You Know", Enchanted My Prediction: "Falling Slowly", Once

Best Supporting Actor: Its been a while since 5 of the top 6 awards seem so pre-determined. Javier Bardem has won every award everywhere and the Oscar won't elude him. Its too bad too. I loved Tom Wilkinson in Michael Clayton. Hal Holbrook is a sentimental favorite. Philip Seymour Hoffman already has one - so...I'm glad he was nominated. And I love Casey Affleck. I love the Affleck brothers. I'm happy he was nominated, too. My Pick: Tom Wilkinson, Michael Clayton My Prediction: Javier Bardem, No Country For Old Men

Best Supporting Actress: This one is probably the only award of the big ones - that is really up for grabs - sort of. There is a general concensus that Cate Blanchett will win. Amy Ryan had early buzz winning all the early awards. Ruby Dee has a recent bit of momentum with her SAG Win. And I want one of the other two to win, though they won't. Saoirse Ronan was amazing as the confused and punishing young girl in Atonement. Tilda Swinton blew me away in Michael Clayton. My Pick: Tilda Swinton, Michael Clayton. My Prediction: Cate Blanchett, I'm Not There

Best Actor: Daniel Day-Lewis has it in the bag. Sweet of him to dedicate his SAG win to Heath Ledger, whom he had never met - but was moved by his work. I haven't seen his performance, but I will. I like him enough...but, he seems to be a pretty sure lock. George Clooney was great as Michael Clayton - if not for the fact that most of the movie is his face. Tommy Lee, Viggo - haven't seen their performance, but I like them both. Ah, but, Johnny Depp. I would love to see Johnny Depp win an Oscar, but he won't. My Pick: Johnny Depp, Sweeney Todd. My Prediction: Daniel Day-Lewis, There Will Be Blood

Best Actress: No race here either. Julie Christie will win an Oscar for Away From Her. Okay, good. I love that Laura Linney was nominated, somewhat surprisingly here. Marion Cotillard and Cate Blanchett - I'm sure are great - but haven't seen them. Ellen Page as Juno - I loved her and thought she was hilarious and I love when comedic roles (yes, it was basically comedic) get nominated for anything. My Pick: Ellen Page, Juno. My Prediction: Julie Christie, Away From Her

Best Director: Seems to be a shoo-in for the Coen brothers. There is a very, very, very distant chance that Julian Schnabel could be an upset winner for The Diving Bell and the Butterfly. But, it just doesn't really seem to be a competition this year...as the Coen brothers are the strong favorites. I wouldn't mind if Tony Gilroy took it. My Pick: Jason Reitman, Juno My Prediction: Joel and Ethan Coen, No Country For Old Men

Best Picture: No Country For Old Men will be the victor here...though, I'm so enamored with the fact that Juno was nominated - a comedy! - I would love for it to win. And really, Atonement haunted me for days and days after I saw it - the kind of epic Best Pictures usually are. Its a horribly tragic story - just the kind Oscar likes. And, I really was intrigued by Michael Clayton. Having not seen There Will Be Blood, No Country For Old Men is actually the last of these films I would want to win, but alas, it will win. My Pick: AtonementMy Prediction: No Country For Old Men

Complete list of Nominations:
Best Picture
"Atonement"
"Juno"
"Michael Clayton"
"No Country for Old Men"
"There Will Be Blood"

Actor
George Clooney, "Michael Clayton"
Daniel Day-Lewis, "There Will Be Blood"
Johnny Depp, "Sweeney Todd the Demon Barber of Fleet Street"
Tommy Lee Jones, "In the Valley of Elah"
Viggo Mortensen, "Eastern Promises"

Actress
Cate Blanchett, "Elizabeth: The Golden Age"
Julie Christie, "Away From Her"
Marion Cotillard, "La Vie en Rose"
Laura Linney, "The Savages"
Ellen Page, "Juno"

Supporting Actor
Casey Affleck, "The Assassination of Jesse James by the Coward Robert Ford"
Javier Bardem, "No Country for Old Men"
Hal Holbrook, "Into the Wild"
Philip Seymour Hoffman, "Charlie Wilson's War"
Tom Wilkinson, "Michael Clayton"

Supporting Actress
Cate Blanchett, "I'm Not There"
Ruby Dee, "American Gangster"
Saoirse Ronan, "Atonement"
Amy Ryan, "Gone Baby Gone"
Tilda Swinton, "Michael Clayton"

Director
Julian Schnabel, "The Diving Bell and the Butterfly"
Jason Reitman, "Juno"
Tony Gilroy, "Michael Clayton"
Joel Coen and Ethan Coen, "No Country for Old Men"
Paul Thomas Anderson, "There Will Be Blood"

Foreign Film
"Beaufort," Israel
"The Counterfeiters," Austria
"Katyn," Poland
"Mongol," Kazakhstan
"12," Russia

Adapted Screenplay
Christopher Hampton, "Atonement"
Sarah Polley, "Away from Her"
Ronald Harwood, "The Diving Bell and the Butterfly"
Joel Coen & Ethan Coen, "No Country for Old Men"
Paul Thomas Anderson, "There Will Be Blood"

Original Screenplay
Diablo Cody, "Juno"
Nancy Oliver, "Lars and the Real Girl"
Tony Gilroy, "Michael Clayton"
Brad Bird, Jan Pinkava and Jim Capobianco, "Ratatouille"
Tamara Jenkins, "The Savages."

Animated Feature Film
"Persepolis"
"Ratatouille"
"Surf's Up"

Art Direction
"American Gangster"
"Atonement"
"The Golden Compass"
"Sweeney Todd the Demon Barber of Fleet Street"
"There Will Be Blood"

Cinematography
"The Assassination of Jesse James by the Coward Robert Ford"
"Atonement"
"The Diving Bell and the Butterfly"
"No Country for Old Men"
"There Will Be Blood"

Sound Mixing
"The Bourne Ultimatum"
"No Country for Old Men"
"Ratatouille"
"3:10 to Yuma"
"Transformers"

Sound Editing
"The Bourne Ultimatum"
"No Country for Old Men"
"Ratatouille"
"There Will Be Blood"
"Transformers"

Original Score
"Atonement," Dario Marianelli
"The Kite Runner," Alberto Iglesias
"Michael Clayton," James Newton Howard
"Ratatouille," Michael Giacchino
"3:10 to Yuma," Marco Beltrami

Original Song
"Falling Slowly" from "Once," Glen Hansard and Marketa Irglova
"Happy Working Song" from "Enchanted," Alan Menken and Stephen Schwartz
"Raise It Up" from "August Rush," Nominees to be determined
"So Close" from "Enchanted," Alan Menken and Stephen Schwartz
"That's How You Know" from "Enchanted," Alan Menken and Stephen Schwartz

Costume
"Across the Universe"
"Atonement"
"Elizabeth: The Golden Age"
"La Vie en Rose"
"Sweeney Todd the Demon Barber of Fleet Street"

Documentary Feature
"No End in Sight"
"Operation Homecoming: Writing the Wartime Experience"
"Sicko"
"Taxi to the Dark Side"
"War/Dance"

Documentary (short subject)
"Freeheld"
"La Corona (The Crown)"
"Salim Baba"
"Sari's Mother"

Film Editing
"The Bourne Ultimatum"
"The Diving Bell and the Butterfly"
"Into the Wild"
"No Country for Old Men"
"There Will Be Blood"

Makeup
"La Vie en Rose"
"Norbit"
"Pirates of the Caribbean: At World's End"

Animated Short Film
"I Met the Walrus"
"Madame Tutli-Putli"
"Meme Les Pigeons Vont au Paradis (Even Pigeons Go to Heaven)"
"My Love (Moya Lyubov)"
"Peter & the Wolf"

There you have it, the longest blog post EVER. I'm still hoping I'll be tuning in on February 24th to see all the normal glitz and glamor and to find out how sure a thing all those sure things are!

No comments:

Post a Comment