Tuesday, May 1, 2012

A Tale of Two Halves--The Good Wife


Sunday night was the season 3 finale of The Good Wife.  For me, TGW is one of the best shows on television.  Great acting, great writing, great characters, great show. Seasons 1 and 2, though, were better than this season. Don't get me wrong--still amazing, just not quite as amazing. I think it's because the second half was better than the first half of the season.

First half:  The Alicia/Will relationship--while I like them  both I don't think that they have a lot of chemistry and don't love them together. Too much Eli--I really like the character but in small doses, and for sure just working with on Peter's campaign or talking to teenager Becca, not at the firm. So-so cases--at times I thought that the lawyers were stupid for the direction the cases went, and I'm not even a lawyer. Weird stuff with the kids--Grace's tutor? Need I say more?

Second half:  I read somewhere that the Kings who created/produce/write for the show read reviews and blogs and take the feedback. This seemed to be the case. Alicia and Will split, Eli wasn't in it as much, Cary's side ponytail girlfriend left (I didn't even mention that above, but I didn't love her either), etc.  It was just better and more TGW like.

What I hope to see next season:  More Diane, Kalinda, and Cary, all of whom I always like to see more of. (I've been a Matt Czuchry fan since he was Logan dating Rory Gilmore, so the more he's on, the better.)  Continuing with good story lines from this season, like Kalinda's husband and dirt on Peter. More interactions of characters, which I think is one of the show's greatest strengths--Will and Diane, Cary and Kalinda, Alicia and Kalinda, Cary and Alicia (people seemed to be fighting a lot this season...real-life like, but it's time for people to get along again). More great guests, with Mamie Grumer and Martha Plimpton being my favorites.

I loved the season finale and thought it was one of the best episodes of the season.  I look forward to Season 4.

The Good Wife Season 3 Grade:  B.
The Good Wife Series Grade:  A-.

1 comment:

  1. Amen. I have to say - I liked Will & Alicia more than I let on - but realized how much better I like them apart after it was over...so yay for that! Also - wondering why the finale was on so early...before the big sweeps period.

    ReplyDelete