Monday, September 10, 2007

Lessons from the Creative Arts Emmys

First, I love award shows. I specifically Love the Primetime Emmys. Last Saturday was the Creative Arts Prime-time Emmy Awards, the pre-cursor to the big show - all the technical awards that no one presumably wants to see. I usually just check the winners list to see who won the Guest Actor/Actress in Drama/Comedy - because those are the names that I recognize. This year there were a lot more names that I recognized at the Creative Arts Emmy's and I took a more definite interest in their out come.

Justin Timberlake, Kathy Griffin, Mia Michaels, Wade Robson and now even Leslie Caron are all Emmy Winners. Is is a travesty of some sort that Justin Timberlakes SNL spoof song with "in a box" in the title won an emmy? It seem a little like a flip off to the Emmy's in general - but then again, three 6 Mafia have an OSCAR - but that wasn't for a joke. Maybe Emmy is just relaxing a little and not taking herself so seriously. Well, however it comes off - "Step One" is that it won an Emmy. Kathy Griffin won an Emmy too. I think she is funny - but crass - her exaggerated sarcasm and attacks on celebrities and celebrity itself with her reality show "My Life on the D-List" won her an Emmy - guess she doesn't make fun of too many Emmy voters. With South Park also winning an Emmy, irreverence was definitely a theme of the night. The American Express commercial with Ellen and the animals (depicting her staff) - won an Emmy. I didn't know commercials could WIN Emmy's - I learned quite a few things reviewing the Creative Arts Emmys this year...and have compiled a lovely little list:

1. Commericals can win an Emmy

2. Area awards are categories that can have more than 1 winner or no winner - voters get to vote for as many of the nominees that they want to - and all nominees with a majority of votes wins an Emmy. If no one has a majority - no winner. That is how Mia Michaels and Wade Robson both "won" Emmy's - and even another contender in their category - it was an AREA AWARD. AHHHH Uh, Okay?

3. There used to be an award called "Most Promising New Comer" - I think I might have already known this - but I was reminded when Leslie Caron (who I LOVE, LOVE, LOVE) - Gigi herself (and star of one of my all-time favorite movies Father Goose) won her Emmy. She said she was nominated in 1951 for Most Promising New Comer and she was glad that at 76 she finally reached her potential.

4. There is a record for show with the most number of nominations without a win - and it is currently held by Newhart. AND - American Idol was encroaching on that record until Saturday - it finally won a technical direction Emmy for "Idol Gives Back" - after 6 years of nominations - it finally won an Emmy. Whew - I'm sure Newhart was worried.

5. 82 is the age of the oldest winner at this years awards - you'd think at 76, Leslie Caron had this one in the bag - but Elaine Stritch at 82 won that distinction when she won for Guest Star on a Comedy - for her turn on 30 Rock.

6. The Tony's can win an Emmy. I think I knew this one too - because I did know that the Oscars have won Emmy's before and did this year again for music direction...its all kind of funny the Oscars winning the Emmy's - the Tony's winning Emmy's. Its just funny when awards shows are honored at other award shows. Ah, how Hollywood loves to honor themselves.

7. Sometimes, my favorite winners are going to be at the Creative Arts awards and not live on my television. Friday Night Lights won for Best Casting - Amen! Its too bad none of those perfectly casted performances were nominated themselves - Connie Britton and Kyle Chandler were so snubbed! John Goodman won for Guest Actor on a Drama for Studio 60. He was great on this show - but I really wanted Eli Wallach to win for Studio 60 - either way its my favorite because any honoring of Studio 60 is my favorite - after one of my favorite shows from last years had to limp out the season in June - I'm glad to see it get noted ANYWHERE.

Well, needless to say - I'm going to watch the show now - airing on E! on Saturday - even though the winners are no surprise - I just want to see my favorites and then the BIG awards on Sunday. I'm definitely looking forward to the weekend.

No comments:

Post a Comment