Tuesday, June 12, 2012

Summer Reading Thus Far

I like most books that I read.  Sometimes I find a book that I can't put down, sometimes one that I finish but would say is "blah", and occasionally find one that due to boredom or content I stop reading. But overall I would say that I enjoy most of them. As a result, I won't be rating books here. I'll point out if one fits into a category other than I liked it, and if I'm talking about a few of them, I'll pick my favorite.

So here's what I've read this past month:

Killing Lincoln by Bill O'Reilly--This was my first Bill O'Reilly book experience. I get that it isn't the typical Bill O'Reilly book.  Regardless, I really liked it. It focused on the two weeks leading up to the assassination of Abraham Lincoln and the few days after that. It was nicely written so that I learned a lot and it still kept my attention. He is writing a book called Killing Kennedy and I plan to read that now, too.

The Diving Bell and the Butterfly by Jean-Dominique Bauby--This is a book about a man who had a stroke and has something called locked-in syndrome where he was only able to blink his left eye (no talking or anything).  He has since passed away though prior to this wrote the book by blinking his eye. It was beautifully written and somehow managed to be uplifting.

Look Again by Lisa Scottoline--I get ideas of books to read primarily from family and friends, magazines, or browsing in stores including Target. This was on the popular reading for awhile so I read it. It's about a woman who adopts a baby to find out that he was basically the boy on the milk carton. This was a "blah" book for me. I finished it and it was fine but nothing spectacular.

The Sweetness at the Bottom of the Pie by Alan Bradley--I really liked this book. It's about an 11 year old girl who works to solve a mystery to help clear her father in a murder investigation. It was entertaining, sweet, I laughed, and I stayed up reading it to see what happened next.

Ali in Wonderland: and Other Tall Tales by Ali Wentworth--This is a book of stories from Ali Wentworth's life. Her parents were involved in politics, she was on In Living Color and Oprah, she's married to George Stephenopolous. She has interesting stories to tell. And I love George S--and his book--so I enjoyed hearing about things like how they met and their marriage. It was well written and funny. Another like.

So not bad for the start of summer reading. I enjoyed most of them, but if I have to pick a favorite (which I'm making myself do), I pick this one:


It's just a nice little story, unique and well written. People should read it.

No comments:

Post a Comment